Planet Research Data Commons: Feedback from Consultations
Read a report on the feedback from consultations for the ARDC’s Planet Research Data Commons.
The ARDC is developing the Planet Research Data Commons (Planet RDC), one of a suite of Thematic Research Data Commons that will collaboratively develop and deliver sustainable digital research infrastructure on a national scale.
The Planet RDC will support earth and environmental science researchers to develop cross-sector and multi-disciplinary data collaborations on a national scale. It will integrate underpinning compute, storage infrastructure and services with analysis platforms and tools supported by expertise, standards and best practices. It will also bring together data from a range of sources to tackle the big questions.
As part of the co-design approach to developing the Planet RDC, the ARDC held consultations in 2022 with national stakeholders. The purposes of these consultations were to:
- identify the key data challenges in earth and environmental research, as well as the associated priorities
- help define the value proposition of the Planet RDC
- learn where initial efforts need to be focused in establishing the Planet RDC.
The report summarises the insights gained from the initial discussions with stakeholders and the roundtables. It includes:
- the data challenges identified by the ARDC through an analysis of the national research and research infrastructure priorities related to earth and environmental research and management
- feedback from consultations with the ARDC Research and Technical Advisory Committee and the National Earth and Environmental Sciences Facilities Forum (NEESFF)
- feedback from consultations held with researchers, research infrastructure providers, industry, government, and non-government organisations from the earth and environmental sciences
- the revised data challenges based on the findings from the consultations.
- What: Challenges and Priorities
- Why: Impact and Value Proposition
- Who: National Stakeholders
- How: Implementation Factors
- Revised Data Challenges
- More Information
- Appendix: Planet RDC Proposed Data Challenges
Watch the recording of the 10 October roundtable below and view the slides:
ARDC Ltd. (2022). Planet Research Data Commons: Feedback from Consultations.
Did you find this resource useful?
Receive tailored updates on latest digital research news, events, resources, career opportunities and more.