Projects initiated under the Skilled Workforce Discovery Activities aim to understand the bigger picture around supply and demand of research support professionals, such as data stewards and research software engineers, with a focus on the benefits of improving career pathways.
The Skilled Workforce Program is part of the ARDC’s second strategic theme People and Policy: Transforming culture and community. Discovery projects conducted under the Skilled Workforce Program aim to answer the following questions:
- What is the current size of the research support professional workforce in Australia?
- What is the future demand for the research support professional workforce in Australia?
- Who is providing what and to whom in data and software skills in Australia?
- What do career paths look like for data stewards and software engineers in Australia?
- How could we make cloud infrastructure easier to use for researchers with limited IT expertise? (related to Storage and Compute Discovery projects)
The Discovery projects initiated in this theme are being conducted via targeted engagement. Outputs of the projects will be used to inform an eResearch Skilled Workforce Summit organised by the ARDC, CAUDIT and Universities Australia in Sydney, 29-30 July.
This Summit will focus on the development of the digitally skilled workforce essential for research in the 21st century. It will bring together stakeholders involved or interested in developing an Australian research workforce composed of both digitally skilled researchers, and research support professionals to maximise research impact.
Who is this project for?
- Research ICT Infrastructure providers
- Publicly Funded Research Agencies
- NCRIS facilities
- Research Institutes
- Medical Research Institutes
- Infrastructure providers
What does this project enable?
Broad involvement from eResearch sector to help identify and solve the challenges required for Australia to excel in the new digital economy. The projects themselves should provide meaningful outcomes for research communities and organisations as well as broader learnings for ARDC and the sector. Outputs from these activities will guide key discussions in the future capital and operational investment programs of the ARDC.
- Learn more about the Storage and Compute Discovery Activities.
- Learn more about the Data and Services Discovery Activities.
- Read the news article about launching our Discovery Activities.
- Read the news article about the Storage and Compute open call for project proposals.
- Learn more about the ARDC Discovery Projects.
- Register for the Skilled Workforce Summit and read more about the call for participation.