Applications, Tools and Services
This project investigated current and future demands for high throughput computing (HTC) tools and services in the research sector in Australia and how these services can be effectively supported.
It investigated the following questions:
- What are the requirements of NCRIS capabilities and major research groups for these types of services?
- What exemplars are there in Australia and internationally of these kinds of services?
- Commercial cloud services, hybrid cloud, specialized hardware?
- What is the best approach for supporting these services on different infrastructures (including the Nectar Research Cloud) and how can we encompass hybrid cloud including local infrastructure (clusters, local cloud, etc.), and commercial cloud?
- How can we best take advantage of commercial cloud pricing options for these requirements?
From a user perspective, the project aimed at identifying requirements of NCRIS capabilities and users for such capabilities. From a provider perspective, the project identified similar infrastructures overseas supporting HTC as well as the role commercial clouds can have in this space.
Who is this project for?
What does this project enable?
Projects in this area will contribute to determining what vision, governance structure and implementation program are necessary to create an Australian research data commons.