The Agriculture Research Data Cloud project, has created AgReFed – the Agricultural Research Federation that supports data discovery and innovation.
It shares research, industry, and government data to enhance decision making and to generate new insights into the productivity, profitability and resilience of Australia’s agricultural industries.
It provides the social and technical infrastructure required for agricultural researchers and the agriculture sector access to reliable and relevant data to enable data discoveries, research efficiencies and improved outcomes. This is achieved through improving the Findability, Accessibility, Interoperability and Reusability of Agricultural data.
Its foundational activities and engagement have focussed on:
- Development of a data stewardship framework relevant to the agriculture domain.
- Post-capture data management from information collected via sensor networks and remote sensing sources.
- Processes to ensure that the data quality and reliability are known (i.e. metadata) and the FAIR principles apply.
- Interoperability of data and services to facilitate integration of biological and yield data with sensor network and remote sensing data, enabling advanced analyses.
- Development of the AgReFed portal to federate and present datasets in a single point of access.
- Encouraging the long-term management of the data via a stewardship framework adopted by trusted data curators.
Who is this project for?
- Growers and Producers
What does this project enable?
The AgReFed provides access to reliable, interoperable, enhanced agricultural data collections to enable seamless data input into decision support tools used by farmers and agronomists. This will accelerate innovation by enabling advanced analysis techniques, tools and services to help inform management and policy decisions, thereby enhancing the translation of research to real world on-farm benefits.