What is a research data commons?
It’s bigger than us…
A research data commons brings together people, skills, data, and related resources such as storage, compute, software, and models to enable researchers to conduct world class data-intensive research.
This commons will be a transformational change in the research data ecosystem, increasing the coherence and interoperability of existing investments and the effectiveness and efficiency of the system for researchers.
We’re here to help create one for Australia
And you are essential in making this happen.
That’s why in 2018 we asked over 400 people from our partners, collaborators, thought leaders and the research community to provide input into our strategy.
What we do
We work with our stakeholders to deliver a successful research data commons that provides the research community and industry access to nationally significant, state of the art data intensive infrastructure, platforms, skills and collections of high quality. Our five strategic themes will support the development of a nationally coordinated resource for Australian researchers.
- Coordination and coherence: Facilitating an Australian research data commons.
- People and policy: Transforming culture and community.
- Data and services: Maximising the value of Australia’s data assets.
- Software and platforms: Enabling research insights and supporting collaboration.
- Storage and compute: Providing foundation infrastructure.
Our purpose is to provide Australian researchers with competitive advantage through data.
To accelerate research and innovation by driving excellence in the creation, analysis and retention of high-quality data assets.