A persistent identifier (PID) is a long-lasting reference to a digital resource. There is a growing need to uniquely identify instruments in many research communities. PIDs for instruments have many potential benefits:
- To enable unambiguous reference to digital representations of instruments
- To generate metrics that quantify the use of instruments and the rationale for future funding
- To link data to the instruments that generated them (provenance) to help with published papers and data tracking and citation
- To aid equipment logistics and mission planning
- To improve the discoverability and visibility of instruments and their data, published on the web
This community of practice is for people in Australia interested in or actively working on solutions in this space.